Who is a member of the unity of teaching assistants?
You are members of the unity of teaching assistants if you do, or have done in the last year, one of the following tasks :
- In charge of practical work: This includes to be in charge of laboratory and tutorials. They have a responsibility to ensure the proper functioning of a group of practical work. These tasks are paid for the period of practical work and may include work outside class.
- Repeater: This also includes tutors tasks. They are present in practical sessions to answer students’ questions. These tasks are paid for the period of practical work and do not include any work outside class.
- Corrector: They participate in the evaluation of learning. Their role is to ensure the correction of assignments and exams. These tasks are normally paid by time sheets. Each hour devoted to the correction should normally be paid.
- Supervisor of exams: They ensure the smooth running of the exam periods and compliance with rules. These tasks are normally paid by time sheets. Each hour of attendance to the examination room should normally be paid.
- Chief supervisor of exams: Their tasks are the same as the supervisor of exams, and they provide more the responsibility of a local review and delivery of examination papers if there place.
Often teaching assistants perform many of these tasks during a single session.
What is happening now?
The current collective agreement has expired on February 12th, 2020. It stay in function until the next one is signed.
This first collective agreement made it possible to obtain, among other things, an 11.5% increase in salaries, equivalent to those of teaching assistants at other Montreal universities.
The union is at work for the renewing of the collective agreement: the bargaining committee revised the articles and clauses of the agreement, following the survey sent to members, and completed its analysis of the problems encountered in the application of the first collective agreement.
Collective agreement signed
The collective agreement for this unit has been signed on February 13th 2017, and is valid from February 13th 2017 to February 12th 2020. It can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
To contact the bargaining committee
Do you have specific questions for the bargaining committee on the progress of negotiations? Do you have any concerns, suggestions, recommendations, claims for the committee? You can contact the committee by email at email@example.com. You can also contact the union executive by clicking the “Executive” tab.